I love pizza! If you think about it, it’s pretty much the perfect food! It has all of the major food groups, it tastes amazing and you eat it with your hands. Yup, definitely a stellar combination!
I stumbled upon Lauren’s Latest a few weeks ago on Pinterest, when I made her Thai Sweet Chili Chicken Bites (which were SOOOOOOO good, by the way!). I decided to do something UNHEARD of! I made two new recipes from the same blog for dinner! They were both so delicious!
Now, I discovered a trick for cooking bacon- bake it! In fact, this has so revolutionized my world that I am planning to do a whole blog post on it, the next time I get a few minutes during nap time (which doesn’t happen very often… good thing Caleb is a cutie!)
The recipe calls for homemade sun-dried tomato pesto, which is DELISH! The combination of pizza sauce and sun-dried tomato pesto is divine and makes regular pizza spectacular! If you have store-bought, I’m sure it’s fine as well! Now, the recipe for the pesto makes about 3 cups, but you only need 1/3 cup for this recipe. I cut it in half, and froze the rest of the pesto for another recipe (think- over pasta with mozzarella cheese and spinach) or the next time you make this pizza!
Enough pizza dough to make a large pizza (about 1 lb)
12 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/3 cup homemade sun-dried tomato pesto (see recipe below)
1/3 cup pizza sauce
2 or 3 handfuls fresh baby spinach
2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Spread pizza dough out onto your pizza pan (or cookie sheet, I use a stone…).
3. Combine the pizza sauce and pesto in a small bowl. Spread over the dough.
4. Top with fresh spinach and mozzarella.
5. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the crust isn’t quite brown yet, but has gotten firm.
6. Remove pizza from the oven and top with the bacon and feta.
7. Return the pizza to the oven for another 5-8 minutes, or until the mozzarella cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden!
8. Cut and ENJOY!
2 cups oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced thinly ( or just buy them thinly sliced to save time!)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
1. Combine tomatoes, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts in a food processor. Pulse until you have a nice, thick, combined texture! Drizzle in a little olive oil if the mixture is too thick!