I love the spicy flavour of Indian food, and I wanted to bring it into my kitchen (actually onto my patio) at home! All summer, we’ve been doing a lot of grilling… it’s so quick, easy and adds so much flavor to foods!
I found a recipe for Tandoori Chicken on allrecipes.com that I decided to try. I must say, I know that this isn’t real Indian food. I know that it doesn’t really even come close to something you’d eat in a restaurant. BUT, it was still REALLY good! The spices worked together well! The chicken is marinated in yogurt, with the spices added in, which made it so moist and flavorful!
I used bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs for maximum moistness and flavor. You could easily adapt this recipe for boneless skinless chicken breasts (grill until they are no longer pink, about 5-8 minutes a side), or boneless skinless chicken thighs. You could also bake the chicken in a 350º oven for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
Barbecued Tandoori Chicken Thighs
Recipe adapted from www.allrecipes.com
1 cup (8 oz) plain yogurt
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
8 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
olive oil spray
1. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the spices, garlic and ginger.
2. Place the chicken in a large, resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Turn the bag over a few times to make sure that the chicken is coated with the marinade. Place the bag in a bowl or on a plate, and marinate in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
3. Preheat the BBQ to medium.
4. Remove the chicken from the bag, discard the marinade. Wipe excess marinade off the chicken with a paper towel. Spray with olive oil spray.
5. Place the chicken over direct heat and grill for about 2 minutes on each side and you have nice grill marks on the chicken. Move the chicken to indirect heat and finish cooking, about 15-20 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
Keep grilling while the weather’s still good!
The Hungry Teacher